Environmentalists have criticized the use of refrigerators on the grounds that they release chlorofluorocarbon or CFC gas, which is a significant contributor to the greenhouse effect and thus global warming. But it’s almost impractical to think of our lives today without the convenience of refrigerators. We practically live on stored food and in the fast pace of the lives that most of us are leading, the time to take out previous days food from our refrigerators and heat it up in microwaves to have a quick byte is all we have.
However, we do need to check the carbon footprint of the luxuries we posses for the sake of our environment. There are many ways in which we can reduce the carbon footprint that the use of refrigerators adds up to.
Here are some ways to increase the efficiency of refrigerators:
- If you search well before buying a new refrigerator for yourself, you will see there are many CFC-free refrigerators available in the market today. Buy them instead of the traditional ones. They might be a little more expensive, but they certainly are worth it for the sake of our environment.
- Buy an energy-efficient refrigerator. Understand the working of one well and then buy one. There are many indicators accepted across the globe as symbols of energy-efficient products today, such as the Energy Star.
- Make sure your refrigerators is at a safe and good distance from all sources of heat, such as the direct sunlight, radiators, cooking appliances such as the oven or the regular cooking range.
- When it is dark, lit a flashlight and place it inside the refrigerator and close the door. If you see light around, it’s time for you to replace the seals of your refrigerators.
- The motors and compressors inside the refrigerator generate heat while making its cooling system work. Hence, make sure there is enough space around your refrigerators so that there is continuous airflow that allows the heat thus produced to escape. If that doesn’t happen, the cooling system of the refrigerator will work harder, and consume much more energy to keep the temperatures inside cool.
- At times, you will have your refrigerators full, which is not a bad situation. However, for efficient functioning of your refrigerators, make sure there is enough space for air-circulation inside them.
- Cook only as much as you want to eat so that your refrigerator is not full of food items and hence does not need to consume more energy for an efficient cooling system.
- Give a minute and think about what you need from your refrigerators, before you open its doors. This will reduce the amount of time the door remains open, thereby reducing the energy being consumed too keep the inside cool.
These are some simple ways in which you can enjoy the luxuries of the modern day life, without doing much harm to the environment.